Plečnik's collection is stored in his house in the part of Ljubljana called Trnovo. It was created upon buying Plečnik's house, together with its original inventory, and the founding of the Museum of Architecture in 1972. It contains original furnishings and Plečnik's personal belongings, documents, sketches and drawings, clay, plaster and wood designs, correspondence, as well as numerous works of his students. The collection comprises approximately 17,500 items and is still being updated with new objects and drawings.
The largest part of the collection consists of drawings and plans for Ljubljana, many projects have remained unrealized. Some of the most famous among them are: Žale - 'The Garden of All Saints', the main Marketplace with the Butchers' Bridge, Slovenian Parliament – 'The Cathedral of Freedom'. The collection of 500 drawings for the Žale cemetery, dating back to the period between 1938 and 1940, was bought by the museum from Vlasto Kopač, Plečnik`s student and building assistant, who was responsible for drawing detailed plans based on Plečnik's templates, under the master's constant supervision.
Contact and information:
Ana Porok, curator
00386 (0)1 2412-500/506
Plečnik House, Karunova 4, Ljubljana
Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana